Reports to: President BITS, Executive Vice President of the Bank Policy Institute (BPI)
Department: BITS Technology Policy Division
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
The Bank Policy Institute is the leading advocacy organization for America’s financial services industry. With a tradition of service and accomplishment, the Bank Policy Institute is a dynamic, forward-looking association advocating for the top banks both domestically and internationally, keeping them informed on the vital policy and regulatory matters that impact their business. BPI is driven at the CEO level giving us a unique and influential voice in Washington.
BITS is the technology policy division of the BPI, helping to shape public policy coming out of Washington. We promote the advancement of emerging technologies, improving operational capabilities and we advocate for efficient regulatory practices that are readily implemented to benefit of the consumers and the financial industry.
BITS members include the leading banking, insurance, securities, asset management, finance and credit card companies in America. Our members are financing the American economy – creating jobs, expanding businesses, securing homes, businesses and retirement, ensuring growth and building consumer confidence.
With expanding Washington involvement in our industry, forming relationships and engaging with public officials and policymakers is critical to helping our members understand policies and regulations, and provide advice and guidance to help shape them. BITS promotes safety and soundness in the technology and infrastructure of the financial services system. Our expertise enables our members to identify and manage risk, with a particular focus on cybersecurity, fraud reduction, critical infrastructure protection, data protection and emerging technology.
This role will be responsible, on behalf of member firms, for forward looking cybersecurity strategy and to be part of a team of information technology, risk and regulatory experts. Reporting to the President of BITS, the person in this role will need to be a thought partner with BITS’ President and the BITS team as well as be effective with the President/CEO and executive operating executives at member firms as we set strategy, identify best practices and set an example for collaboration and leadership both internally and within the industry. As a skilled executive with strong technology and financial industry background, the candidate will be able to develop and balance our short and long-term agenda for technology, operating and policy initiatives.
The person will collaborate with BPI/BITS members, government partners, agencies, the administration and technology executives. Additionally, this leader will work side by side with BITS leadership in fraud reduction, regulatory technology, risk management and innovation to develop priorities in areas such as cybersecurity and cyber automation, security standards, third-party risk management, identity management , data governance and privacy and critical infrastructure resilience. Increasing member participation and attracting new members will be an important component of the role.
This role will require prior experience in information technology with a preference to a former senior management level practitioner or an executive with relevant policy or regulatory background. Cross-sector coordination is important and experience working with other trade associations and joint association entities is a plus. An executive who writes well (blogs, whitepapers, practice guides), is confident in a public setting and can both lead panels/seminars or is welcome as an expert speaker or panelist, representing industry is important.
Importantly, this role is critical to our members and will require frequent executive interaction (CEO, CIO, CISO, and CRO). The candidate will have a well-developed track record of educating, gathering input from and formulating a consensus led point of view that represents the industry. Convening meetings, leading our Security Steering Committee, hosting regional conferences and developing trusted partnerships in a confidential and collaborative way is paramount to success.
POSITION FUNCTIONS, SKILLS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- LEADERSHIP – Strong leadership skills with a deep understanding of the Cybersecurity and/or IT Security landscape, as a former practitioner or with well-developed policy, regulatory and operational involvement. The candidate will have an ability to lead a team, have excellent client communication skills, and be able to develop, advocate for and codify strategic direction, making sure BITS is providing the most value to our C-Suite members and the industry as a whole.
- CULTURE: A history as a collaborative team player comfortable operating in a multi-faceted environment where developing the idea and achieving the overarching goals are the keys to success. The candidate will have a record of decisiveness and a bias for action, while exhibiting a high degree of professionalism and teamwork.
- CLIENT/COMMUNICATION SKILLS: The candidate will be an excellent communicator with an ability to synthesize technical concepts into practical terms for a wide audience including CEOs, CIO’s, regulators, congressional leaders and policy/legal constituents. The candidate will have the ability to conduct research and articulate a well-formed point of view on key issues. Collaborating both internally and externally is critical, with a strong predilection to educate and inform in a way that spurs action.
- BUSINESS ACUMEN: The candidate will have leadership presence and be able to identify business needs, emerging technology trends, policy implications and potential solutions that advance cyber protection, infrastructure and consumer safety while helping firms identify both business benefits and implementation approaches in a risk balanced way.
- ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS: The role will require a well-organized ability to develop programs, communicate project status and drive results. This person will be both strategic and hands on, with an ability to go in and out of strategy and tactics quickly and seamlessly. Prior experience transforming products and/or companies and implementing solutions is a plus.
- 15 plus years in progressively senior leadership positions with a preference for the following skills: a technical foundation and the ability to articulate and apply technology strategically. Prior experience developing programs, operating policy and processes, governance and/or IT security processes.
- Experience in a policy and/or regulatory arena with a history of making an impact.
- Financial Services Industry experience or knowledge of how technology is used in the financial sector will be a relevant component of a candidate’s background.
- An ability to work across organizational lines both internally and externally while still advocating for our member firms.
- Education: an undergraduate College/University Degree. A Masters, PhD or relevant certifications are a plus.
Working Conditions: This position will be based in our Washington, DC headquarters with appropriate room for remote/virtual work. The role will also require moderate travel for both member relations and participation in industry conferences, symposiums, etc.
To be considered for this role, please submit a cover letter, résumé / CV, and short writing sample.