Reports to: SVP Operations/Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO)
Mission of Organization
The Bank Policy Institute (BPI) is a nonpartisan public policy, research and advocacy group, representing the nation’s leading banks. Our members include universal banks, regional banks and the major foreign banks doing business in the United States. Collectively, they employ nearly 2 million Americans, make 72% of all loans and nearly half of the nation’s small business loans and serve as an engine for financial innovation and economic growth.
Our staff includes economists, researchers, financial analysts and attorneys, all focused on using data and analysis to shape sound policy. We distribute our research and analysis to U.S. and global regulators, members of Congress, academics and media through academic-quality research papers, blog posts, white papers, comment letters, and Congressional testimony. We also serve our members through our Business-Innovation-Technology-Security division (better known as BITS), which provides an executive-level forum to discuss and promote current and emerging technology, foster innovation, reduce fraud and improve cybersecurity and risk management practices for the nation’s financial sector.
The Front Desk Coordinator & Operations Assistant oversees the day-to-day operations of BPI, specifically the front desk and reception area. This position reports to the SVP Operations/Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) and will focus on the administrative operations of the organization, not limited to but including reception, supply management, and human resources. The Front Desk Coordinator & Operations Assistant will serve as the liaison between external callers, visitors, employees and the SVP Operations/CHRO, and must have strong organization, interpersonal, communication, and independent thinking skills. The ability to multi-task is a must.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Responsible for day-to-day operations of the front desk and reception areas of BPI to include:
- Planning and monitoring the day-to-day running of the front desk to ensure smooth progress.
- Event management for all meetings and activities hosted in the office, to include set-up, catering (if applicable) and breakdown.
- Keeping the staff kitchen and lounge area stocked at all times.
- Managing the procurement process and coordinating material and resources allocation for the mail room and all printer areas. Keeping all areas stocked with office supplies to include checking stock as needed to determine inventory level; anticipating needed stock; inventory and verifying receipt of all office supplies.
- Handling requests for office maintenance and housekeeping from staff and contractors.
- Manage mail accounts, all incoming and outgoing mail/packages for the organization.
- Answering and directing all calls received to BPI to the appropriate staff member.
- Greeting all visitors in a friendly, energetic, polite, and professional manner.
- Maintaining a neat lobby and front desk area at all times.
- Preparing the weekly schedule for front desk coverage and ensuring coverage at all times (lunch breaks, days off, etc).
- Evaluating regularly, the efficiency of business procedures according to organizational objectives and applying improvements.
- Developing and managing relationships/agreements with external partners/vendors, property management, as well as internal department executives and staff.
- Working cohesively with the Human Resources, Finance and Information Technology Departments on administrative tasks that are assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing the front desk or operations for a small or mid-sized non-profit organization.
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities.
- Professional appearance and punctuality.
- Outstanding communication and people skills.
- Ability to maintain a cooperative and harmonious working relationship with staff.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel) and various business software.
- Must have strong skills in organization and planning, demonstrated ability to work independently, and exercise sound judgment in problem solving.
- Proven ability to manage projects.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, exercise sound judgment and confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Ability to multi-task without compromising quality.
- Knowledge and experience to independently perform clerical or office work of any kind.
- Ability to execute any other duties assigned by the SVP Operations/CHRO relating to operation of the organization.
- The ability to work after regular business hours, as needed.
This position is based in BPI’s Washington, DC office.