Reports to: Senior Vice President, Head of Research
Mission of Organization
The Bank Policy Institute (BPI) is a nonpartisan public policy, research and advocacy group, representing the nation’s leading banks. Our members include universal banks, regional banks and the major foreign banks doing business in the United States. Collectively, they employ nearly 2 million Americans, make 72% of all loans and nearly half of the nation’s small business loans and serve as an engine for financial innovation and economic growth.
The research analyst contributes to the analysis of banking, financial markets, and other economic issues—primarily by engaging in empirical analysis—conducted by BPI’s research team. This position is well suited for a candidate that was recently granted a Bachelor’s Degree and considering pursuing a graduate program in economics, finance, business administration, or related field. The candidate should be self-motivated, extremely well-organized and detail-oriented, collegial and able to function under pressure and handle numerous tasks simultaneously. S/he must be able to take initiative, prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as part of a team.
Position Functions and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, each essential duty and responsibility must be performed satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Research, collect and compile information;
- Process, organize, and conduct empirical analysis using a variety of scientific, word processing, spreadsheet or statistical software applications or program platforms;
- Evaluate economic, financial or statistical relationships in databases;
- Analyze economic time series or cross-sectional data;
- Summarize the results of analysis conducted;
- Create versions of research documents suitable for non-technical audiences in the form of memos or PowerPoint presentations;
- Conduct literature reviews on relevant topics.
Secondary Functions and Responsibilities
- Prepare summaries of outside research for BPInsights;
- Prepare blog posts for publication on BPI’s website.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of banks’ balance sheets and income statements;
- Proactive, self-starter who can be relied upon to take initiative and work independently, with ability to multi-task and prioritize objectives and deliverables;
- Accuracy of data analysis and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented workplace;
- A high level of proficiency in STATA, R or similar statistical software;
- A high level of proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, PowerPoint and Word applications;
- Solid communication and writing skills.
Basic knowledge of economics, finance, or banking. Experience using statistical software such as R or STATA.
- None required, but 1-2 years working as a research analyst or similar position while at college is desirable.
- Bachelor’s Degree in economics, finance, computer science, statistics, math, business administration, or related field is required.
This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the sole standards for the position. Incumbents are expected to perform all other duties as required.
To be considered for this role, please submit a cover letter, résumé / CV, and short writing sample.